Feldman, Kronfeld & Beatty Law Blog

Friday, May 6, 2016

Operating Room Fires

The New York Post reported that on December 30, 2014, a fire broke out in an operating room and likely burned the patient at NYU Langone Medical Center. Because of a communications failure between the surgeon and anesthesiologist, who wasn’t aware that a certain instrument would be used in the presence of oxygen, somehow the instrument caused a fire.

Fires at surgical sites are rare, but the presence of pure oxygen increases the danger of oxygen fires. On April 7, 2009, Hazel Volke was undergoing surgery when a hair within the surgical field, combined with Chloraprep and the oxygen that Ms. Volke was receiving caused a fire at the surgical site. The device was an “electrocautery” device, or a device that cauterizes and prevents bleeding by electrocuting the spot of the bleeding.

Personal injury attorneys can assist in situations like operating room fires. They often involve complicated and complex medical situations with advanced medical devices, and requires a skilled and experienced attorney to acquire both the medical and engineering professionals to prove how the fire started and appropriately prove the negligence. If you, or a loved one, has been hurt in an operating room fire, call the experienced medical malpractice attorneys at Feldman, Kronfeld & Beatty at (212) 425-0230 or for a free consultation.

Archived Posts


© 2018 Feldman, Kronfeld & Beatty | Disclaimer
42 Broadway, Suite 1942, New York, NY 10004
| Phone: (212) 425-0230

Personal Injury | Automobile Accidents | Brain Injuries | Construction Accidents | Dog Bites | Medical Malpractice | Motorcycle Accidents | Nursing Home Abuse | Slip/Trip and Fall | Spinal Cord Injuries | Truck Accidents | Accidentes en Construcciones | Wrongful Death

Law Firm Website Design by
Amicus Creative

© Feldman Kronfeld & Beatty | Disclaimer | Attorney Advertising | Law Firm Website Design by Zola Creative